knowledge at its pinnacle

Some people’s advice will only add vice to your life

26/11 Attacks

Militants behind last year’s attacks on Mumbai used cell phones that were activated in the United States and paid for with funds sent from Italy, an Italian newspaper reported on Tuesday.Corriere della Sera daily said India sent the intelligence information to Italy and other countries so anti-terrorism investigators could attempt to expose any ties to the network behind the November assault that killed at least 179 people.
Islamabad acknowledged for the first time this month that the November assault was launched from, and partly planned in, Pakistan.Corriere said Italian authorities were investigating a wire transfer sent to the United States from the northern Italian city of Brescia by a Pakistani-born suspect.
The suspect, named Javaid Iqbal, sent the funds via Western Union to pay for five cell phones with Austrian country codes – three of which were used by the attackers, Corriere said, citing the Indian dossier

February 25, 2009 Posted by | news | , , , , , , | Leave a comment

India to give Kasab’s DNA sample

India will give Pakistan another set of evidence on the involvement of Pakistani elements in the terrorist attacks in Mumbai.DNA samples and fingerprints of Mohammad Ajmal Amir Kasab, the only terrorist captured alive for the Mumbai terrorist attacks in November 2008, are likely to be handed over to Pakistan soon.Sources say DNA sample is admissible as evidence to determine identity in Pakistani anti-terrorism court. India is also likely to name Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi and Zarar Shah, leaders of the terrorist group Lashkar-e-Toiba, as conspirators of the terrorist attacks in the charge sheet.
India expects Interpol to issue red corner notice against the two Lashkar leaders.Pakistan, which has all but accepted that Kasab is a Pakistani, on Sunday said Indian investigators will “be more than welcome” to help in its probe into the terror strikes.Rehman Malik, chief of Pakistan’s Interior Ministry, said anyone found to be involved in the “heinous” attacks would be prosecuted under the country’s anti-terror laws. “All the culprits (involved in the Mumbai attacks) must be apprehended. Who will support such acts?” he said in Lahore.Earlier, during an interview with Geo News channel, Malik said Pakistan’s investigations into the Mumbai attacks are being conducted under the country’s laws and the government will not accept any foreign pressure in this regard.
Pakistan doesn’t need the assistance of foreign countries but investigators will “be more than welcome” to help in the probe. “Pakistan is very open and the inquiry officers have been bestowed with full powers to fulfill their task,” Malik said. If people were found of involvement in the “heinous” attacks, they would be prosecuted under Pakistan’s Anti-Terrorism Act. On January 5, India handed Pakistan a dossier of evidence that included information on interrogations, weapons and data gleaned from satellite phones used by the attackers who attacked iconic Mumbai targets such as hotels and a Jewish center.India said the material proved Pakistan-based militants plotted and executed the Mumbai attacks. Indian officials have repeatedly alleged that Pakistani intelligence agents were involved. Pakistan denies that, though it has accepted that Kasab is a Pakistani.

January 19, 2009 Posted by | news | , , , , | Leave a comment